Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Let's Hear It For the Boys

Sometimes when you break up with someone, you only remember the good things/times and not the reasons why you broke up. Sometimes you are single for so long that you don't remember the good guys.

I belong in the second category.

Although I have run out of fingers and toes on which to count how many times I've been burned by the opposite sex, I also often forget about the ones who made a positive impact. I've had a lot of amazing dates with really great guys and also with some not really great guys. Doors opened, dinners made, flowers given, romantic dinners and walks though Central Park (Yes, I date bicoastally), flights changed to spend extra time with me, and sugar-free vanilla soy lattes on my nightstand when I woke up (most impressive gesture to date.) All of the little things that put a smile of my face.

But the guys who I will NEVER forget, even if they hurt me, are the ones who were honest with me. I don't know what it is about guys that makes them so scared to tell us the truth and be upfront with us. Here's a little secret for the guys: WE CAN HANDLE IT! We're the ones who were engineered to push the babies out, remember?

The most respectful thing you can do is be honest with us. It even if you're telling us you are dating someone else or you don't want a relationship with us or you don't feel the same way about us. Does that suck? You bet. I've been though all of those scenarios and more. Guess which guys I  didn't buy and name Voodoo Dolls after? The ones who had enough respect for me to talk to me instead of stop calling me or make excuses.

In the words of the great Britney Spears, "Don't Let Me Be the Last to Know."

No comments:

Post a Comment